Tags

, , , , ,

After the mixed success of the first experiment, I had to start thinking of a new way to manipulate the metal to get a more random look.

I thought that in order to begin I would need a perfect set of samples to have a reference to work against. I knew that I wanted the granulations to work with the Fibonacci sequence, so I used some brass wire and cut it to Fibonacci lengths. I then made granulations out of this set of cuttings but kept them in their perfect sphere shape.

I really like the aesthetic of the granulation when they were lined up from smallest to largest. From this the idea for the next stage began to form but first I wanted to complete the experiments.

For the next set of granulation I thought I would try to manipulate them while they were still in the molten phase. I knew from the last experiment that I would have difficulty pouring the metal so ruled that out, but thought that I would probably still be able to manipulate them by squashing them …. And the Fibonacci splat was born!

I made the granulation in the same way as before, but when the metal was still molten I would splat it flat using a piece of titanium. I used this as the metal wouldn’t stick to it when it was molten.

This method got some nice results and overall I was happy with it. I would still like to complete 1 more experiment but for now I am happy with the results.

Advertisements