Tags

, , , ,

So I upped the timeframe on the casting …. I had the opportunity to do a cast today so I decided to give it a go. I had nothing to loose and thought well the mould can be used multiple times.

The method of casting I am planning to use for the medals is Sand Casting. This is basically where the mould is pressed into sand and the molten metal is then poured into the sand to make the cast.

As you can tell by the title, things did not go to plan. This is the first time that I have done a sand cast so this was a total learning experience for me. We have a sand pit in the Uni casting area, I added a small amount of water (enough to get the sand to hold it’s shape when squeezed together) and pressed my plaster mould into the pit.  The impression was good but was missing a couple of area’s, I persevered and after a couple of goes I had a mould that was passible.

When the technician came in he said there wasn’t enough water so added a considerable amount and … it was too much. When the metal poured in, it reduced the water to steam causing the metal to pit and bubble on the surface … not the look I was going for. I didn’t have enough metal ready to have another go and the sand was too wet, so I have to regroup, wait for the sand to dry out a bit and try again. I’m so glad that I don’t have to loose the mould!

On a plus note, all the working with the sand and trying to get the cast to work gave me an idea that might be passable for Neg 2 … I’m going to do some sketches and see if I can work with the idea.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Advertisements