Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

The title is a little dramatic but I actually think it is true.

Needless to say the negative cast did not go well at all. As feared the two halves stuck together and the only way I could separate them was to drop both pieces on the floor repeatedly until one of them gave up. This resulted in the negative smashing into a gazillion pieces but I still have the chipped and battered original that is at least salvageable.  I think I am going to call a day on sand casting. Everything that will go wrong has done. I’m going to take Gel flex moulds of the plaster originals and cast them in wax so that I can do a lost wax cast. There is a lot more certainty with a lost wax cast providing you do the cast correctly so I feel that I can be more certain of the result.

Seeing as I was already working with Gel Flex I decided to make some moulds to set some resin in. I decided on a rectangle shape as I thought this would be easiest for finishing but I could still get the cross section effect that I was looking for. I hope these are going to turn out ok, I’m looking forward to trying them out tomorrow. The only downside with Gel Flex is that it increases the finishing time on the resin as the resin comes out really, really sticky. This requires a lot more sanding but it is the only option that I have available to me at the moment. I have been told that the two part silicone makes good moulds but I would need it in large quantities so will have to explore this further later on.

I also tested some of the root formations I made in resin. I set them in ice cube trays as I just wanted to get an idea of the effect before I committed to the gel flex moulds. They seem to be looking good so far but I will know more tomorrow when I can pull them out of the moulds.

Exciting times!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

 

Advertisements