I’m a big fan of to do lists, I make them for everything. I have them for shopping, housework, projects, work and a daily one that I work with all the time. I think because I’ve been so unsure of this project I’ve not had a clear idea of what I was doing, so I’ve been unable to make a list which has left me not using my time wisely!
Now that I have a bit of a plan in my head I’ve made a mammoth to do list and have happily made my way through some of the items today and guess what … have been so much more productive.
I have been working with a semi new to me medium today – enamel. I quite like the results I have gotten from some test pieces so I am going to explore using it in the designs for the pop up exhibition. I have also been looking at new packaging options as I feel this is one of the things that seems to be letting my products down. After a good scout around the tiny box company, the packaging looks reasonable, has a good price and I’ve heard nothing but good reviews from colleagues about it.
I’m coming to the end of the seed experiment now. I have lots and lots of pictures and I’m really pleased with them. Some of them have a real ethereal quality about them. I’m thinking about blowing them up and using them as part of my final show.
I’m also beginning a cast today of the medals that I have been working on. I’m doing a lost wax cast which is a two part process. The first part involves attaching the items you would like to be cast to a wax rod. The items are attached by smaller wax rods called sprue’s. The whole sprue, rod and items thing is called a tree. The tree is placed inside a special flask. The flask is filled with high temperature resistance plaster. The plaster sets really quickly, once it has totally gone off, you place the flask upside down in the kiln. As the kiln heats it melts the wax which drains away and burns out any organic matter. This leaves a perfect imprint of items you wish to cast. This process takes around 12 hours. The next day metal is melted and poured into the flask. When cooled in cold water the plaster disintegrates leaving your metal objects behind. This was a really simple explanation, if you want something more detailed you can look here.
I’ve done the plaster portion of the cast and will do the metal pour tomorrow. It wasn’t an easy cast lots of things went wrong, mainly due to the person supervising being more interested in their phone but it all got sorted in the end.